Special Moments

Special Moments
Mommy and Me

Thursday, June 3, 2010

My Challenge: Living with Less

Having a baby makes you realize just how much 'stuff' you have and how much you continue to accumulate as your baby grows. I am challenging myself and my family to buy less and to buy used when possible. I am also working towards reducing the amount of 'disposable' items we purchase. From diapers, to paper towels, to cleansing cloths, and napkins.

The other day I found a roll of blue and white checkered fabric my mother had from many years ago, and I made napkins (pictured above). I quickly and easily serged the edges and voila! No need for disposable napkins anymore! I just wash these in a short cold water cycle and hang to dry.

It's incredible how much energy consumption and waste production one (small) family can create. Therefore, my mission is: i) to buy locally, sustainably made foods and household items ii) buy used when possible iii) reduce my use of disposable items iv) reduce my energy consumption v) reduce my waste production

Some changes I have already made are; not using the dishwasher, washing dishes myself; sewing our own napkins and washcloths instead of paper towels; using a reusable stainless steel bottle to fill up with water, juice etc when I'm on the road; cloth diapers instead of disposables; hanging clothes to dry most of the time; walking instead of driving; buying used baby clothes and toys or sewing some myself; starting to sew my own clothes (soon I plan to sew my husbands clothes too- will keep you posted on this development!!!)

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Martha! Just wanted to comment on it!

    You've got me all inspired to take up a few conservation strategies I have let fall by the way-side including we collect our shower water in a bucket while it heats up and use it for our container garden. We also use washable rags for cleaning, and cloth wipes and diapers for the wee one.

    ReplyDelete